Friday, May 3, 2019

Two Nations Divided by a Single Language


(from 2014)
                                                                    

The Brits can sometimes come over as excessive polite, and then that can be mistaken for sarcasm. Of course sometimes it is, and misunderstandings can works both ways. Here are a few examples sent me recently of how Brits often react. I am sure American’s can add to it – both about Brits and for those Americans who share the Brit’s penchant for self-deprecation, for themselves.

I live outside the UK, so when I say “with all due respect” no-one realises it is probably an insult.

I asked if anyone wanted the last biscuit? Some-one did.

I accidently rang the bell on the bus at the wrong stop, and instead of explaining my predicament to the driver, got off and walked the rest of the way home.

Having my haircut, the barber said, “Is that alright?” I nodded. It wasn’t.

My girlfriend claims to be “neither here or there on Marmite.” Now I can’t trust anything she says or does.

I phoned Netfix Customer Support which is US based. They were so overly polite I thought they were being sarcastic and hung up...

I said “thank you” as the traffic warden handed me a ticket...

I can’t say “great” without sounding sarcastic.

Yesterday, I arrived at a mini-roundabout simultaneously with two other drivers from other directions. We are still here...

A man in the supermarket was browsing the food I wanted to browse, so I had to pretend to look at things I didn’t even want until he left.

I apologise for not smoking when someone asks me for a light.

I don’t feel well but I don’t want to disturb my doctor.

Can you add to the list?


No comments:

Post a Comment