Monday, May 6, 2019

Comment on WW1 video


(from 2015)


I was sent a link to an extremely long documentary (a discussion between various obscure talking heads) about the causes of World War 1, basically insisting that Germany was innocent and Britain was completely responsible for the war. I was asked to comment. Since I don’t do politics and the thesis put forward was something I’d never heard before, I decided to pick what seemed to me to be the most incongruous throwaway remark in the whole debate. The person who sent the link did not get back to me – at least not on this.

It was an interesting discussion. I was interested in the viewpoint expressed by one speaker that more than anyone else, it was Franz Xaver Joseph Conrad Graf von Hötzendorf, Chief of the General Staff of Austria-Hungary, who was responsible for what became the Great War. He was conducting a passionate affair with Gina von Reininghaus – sending her numerous letters each day and setting up trysts whenever he could – but she’s Catholic and won’t leave her husband. So he gets it into his head that if he is a successful war leader, she will change her mind. With a blank check from Germany the totally incompetent Austria-Hungarian army goes to war and gets virtually wiped out – Germany disingenuously disclaiming that they had no idea... Conrad finally gets Gina – they set up house in 1915 and – Catholic or not - she finally marries him. So he gets the girl, but trashes the world...

Was that the particular point you had in mind...?

No comments:

Post a Comment