Sunday, May 12, 2019

More Vacationeering


(from 2017)


Well, the Occasionals have been away on vacation again. For the last ten years we’ve only been able to go away by arrangement, organising care for my mother while absent. Since she passed away in October, we took off this month for a whole two weeks to North Wales.

Most of our first week was spent at a caravan site called Sea Breezes. I should have taken warning from that. The wind raged across the site, barely protected by an ugly sea wall. Fifteen years ago the area had its own version of the New Orleans disaster, when the existing sea walls were breached and the whole area went underwater. Of course we only found this out when we arrived. Still it was nice to crash out in a caravan – even if buffeted by the wind – and not be on the end of a telephone.

Our second week was a lot better with a flat in the center of Chester.                                       

We’d passed through Chester on vacation a year or two back and wanted to return. It’s a very attractive city with a speciality of old shops on two levels in the main streets, all dating from the Victorian era or earlier. The place goes back to Roman times and the museum has a fine collection of engraved Roman gravestones, which each tell a personal history. Apparently as the city walls fell into disrepair the locals used to steal these stones from the abandoned Roman cemeteries. Then in the 19th century when the walls were properly restored, many of these stones from the past were retrieved, cleaned up, put on show and told their stories.

The city is very close to the Welsh border and Welsh could be heard in the streets on occasion. Apparently the bad feeling between the Welsh and English meant that several clock towers in Chester have clocks on three faces but the side facing Wales is blank. To coin a phrase, they weren’t going to give them the time of day.

The first thing we did was to behave like the total tourists we were, and took the tour bus. It was actually a much restored London bus from the time of the first World War – open topped and taller than modern vehicles meaning you had to duck to avoid being decapitated under modern Chester Bridges.

The commentary was slick and professional with well-rehearsed jokes and we learned a bit about Roman Chester and its subsequent history. However, there was a lesson for modern writers and commentators. Trundling past an ancient cemetery we were told that here was the grave of the writer of Tom Brown’s Schooldays. That’s Thomas Hughes, and no he wasn’t – he was buried in Brighton. And also the father of postage stamps, Roland Hill, and no, he wasn’t buried there either but in Westminster Abbey.  Also in the same cemetery was supposed to be someone who, with multiple births, gave birth to 33 children. Ouch. I didn’t get a name so didn’t check that one out. But once you find a glaring error of fact in an account, it calls into question everything else you’re told. As someone who writes on history, where the line between facts and opinions is easily blurred, there’s a lesson there.

Twice during our stay we travelled to a Welsh language religious meeting. Originally we planned to go to one in Bangor but that one is always filmed and shared on the internet. The thought of my strangulated Welsh being watched by mystified people in Patagonia did not appeal, so we went to a nearer location. While waiting for their own Hall this group hires a room in a Welsh castle.

It was actually a place Mrs O and I visited more than 20 years ago. I used to organise podiatry seminars and our committee suddenly found we had too much money. We had to spend some before the end of the year, so arranged a weekend committee meeting at this castle, and had a medieval banquet thrown in. That was an experience. We were all given huge bibs to protect our clothes and then set to work with fingers on medieval food using medieval wet-wipes. We were served copious quantities of mead by buxom wenches, and then a Welsh choir came and sang at us. The visit wasn’t QUITE as exciting this time.

We walked around Chester on top of the city walls, which is a two mile circuit and generally quite high. And we went to Chester Zoo.  As Tom Paxton sang: “We’re going to the zoo zoo zoo, how about you you you, you can come too too too” etc.  My daughter was a little girl the last time we visited a conventional zoo. I think we once did a safari park in the interim, where you drive through enclosures and small monkeys leap on your car and scream obscenities, while trying to wrench off your windscreen wipers; but we have been zoo-less for many years.

I have to say it was very impressive, with a huge fanfare given to its programs to breed endangered species. We saw all the usual animals you would expect to see. But there was a lot of walking. And I surprised myself, I got tired. VERY TIRED. As soon as we got back to base we cracked another bottle of Cava and then I was done for. Flat out on the bed, Law and Order on the TV - out like a light… But I don’t remember feeling so tired since the day A LONG TIME AGO when I was single and pedal cycled from Cardiff to Manchester for a special meeting with a typewriter tied to the back of my bike (don’t ask) and then from Manchester to London, 180 miles with a headwind. The latter stage took 18 hours and I collapsed into a hot bath at the end. It was half an hour of sheer bliss. And then I found I was totally seized up and unable to get out… (Compartmented into my personal collection of one hundred worst moments of my life…)

I did a bit of writing and a bit of reading. I was supposed to be preparing some lessons for a seminar I’m helping to take when I get home, but that sort of fell by the wayside. I will just have to be busy with that next week. My main non-fiction reading was a recent biography of Josephine Tey. I did write a number of critical paragraphs on this, but Tey really could do with an essay on her own. But then, since American readers have probably never heard of her, I junked most of it.

To-morrow we leave and I am left with the usual feeling.

I think I need a vacation.

To get over this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment