Monday, May 13, 2019

A Case of Proud Father Syndrome


(from 2019)


For a number of years Rachael was good enough to promote the work of Amy Goddard, a singer-songwriter from England. I say “good enough” because I was the one who introduced Rachael to Amy’s work – which up until now has totalled three CDs, live performances on YouTube, and now the prompt for this post – a brand new album out at the end of this month.

It was one of those in-jokes on several levels because Amy Goddard is my daughter. So I would write things like – “I was invited by the family to come and see Amy Goddard.” “I’m told Amy Goddard is a music teacher.”  And my personal favourite, “I’ve known Amy Goddard’s mother for some years…” Amy’s mother and I have our 45th wedding anniversary later this year.

There were other in-jokes too. One of my favourite songwriters was named John Stewart. Amy was force-fed John Stewart material on the car cassette player each day going to and from school, and the result is her latest album, which is a tribute to his songs. There are around 700 of them that are known, and she had to whittle the list down to 17. But in Rachael’s extended family there was also a John Stewart; there was even a photograph of him in a kilt many years ago on this blog. So there were in-jokes about the John Stewart who sang. And the John Stewart who – well – didn’t.

So why didn’t I own up to who I was? I was concerned at the time to preserve my anonymity. If it were possible to trace who I was, then my pen-name for this blog could lead to other blogs where I used a different handle, but could at a stretch be traced. I didn’t want that. Now, I don’t really care. On the basis that a secret is something you tell everyone individually, most who know me, actually know ME. I can’t see anyone else being bothered, and anyhow, I’ve never written anything anywhere that I’m worried about being “found out.”  I might be a bit embarrassed perhaps, but that’s about all.

Amy’s latest CD has one tribute song to John Stewart that she has recorded before. This is a new arrangement but the rest are her selection of his songs.

Stewart wrote and wrote. He sang with the Kingston Trio, who were huge in America over 1958-1963, and wrote Daydream Believer for the Monkees (whose version changed one word and missed the whole point of the song but who listens to lyrics anyway?) and had one hit of his own with Fleetwood Mac, called Gold. By then he was in his early 40s, and finally having a hit, he sang it on national US TV. He was obviously ill at ease, miming away with a tribe of scantily clad girls cavorting behind him (they shook it to the east, they shook it to the west, and then they shook it down south). It was not his finest hour. He almost had a breakdown afterwards and went back to writing and the folk clubs, his real home.

For Amy this project has been a different ball game. If you are a singer-songwriter, generally the project stands or falls by the songs. A brilliant songwriter with a voice like bathwater escaping down the drain (think Bob Dylan) can get away with it. Also, the fledgling singer-songwriter provides songs that no-one else has sung, so there are no terms of reference for comparison. But if you sing someone else’s material, then you can either sing it, or you can’t.

Amy can. Yes, I know I’m prejudiced – both in favour of her singing and the choice of material. So why not click the link below and try it? You can hear a single Bringing Down the Moon and a preview of the tribute album. In the preview you can even hear Occasional in there somewhere, but only a correspondent like the recent Boyo would recognise it and make rude remarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment