Friday, May 3, 2019

Let the Train Take the Strain


(from 2014)


When it comes to rail travel, in my country you can spend a lot of money to be uncomfortable. About the only luxury I can remember was many years ago when the British railway system had a special service called Pullman. These were old-fashioned dining cars, where you could eat a generous meal and imagine you were Cary Grant being propositioned by Eva Marie Saint in Hitchcock’s North by Northwest.

At the time of my Pullman experience, the work I was doing was basically unpaid for a charity. However, they did provide an annual clothing allowance. But – as Mrs O despairs of to this day – clothes are not my strong point. I mean – don’t get me wrong – I do wear them, but the nature and design of said clothing does not loom large on my priorities.

So a clothing allowance was a bonus that had to be spent wisely. So I boarded the Pullman train and headed for London on a special trip to see ageing rock star, Gene Vincent appear at the prestigious London Palladium Theatre. It was a memorable night – my hearing suffered for years afterwards, and I saw both houses with an extra steak house meal in between. OK – so it wasn’t exactly what the money had been given me for.  But I remember that show, and my subsequent write-up in a fan magazine has been reprinted around the world ever since. Without credit alas – BUT HEY, I KNOW!

Now if I’d actually been good and bought a new suit, I wouldn’t still be able to remember that today would I?

Anyhow, this was supposed to be my impressions of train travel in America. As far as New York to Pittsburgh is concerned, what can I say? Quite comfy. Very cheap. So relaxing, you know you could just drop off to sleep. Just like that. So I did.

Mrs O insists I missed some fantastic scenery. Still, I can always buy some postcards.

And at least she woke me up in time to get off the train at the right stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment