Sunday, April 7, 2019

Music for Girls

(from 2013)

In 1967 the late Andy Williams had a mega-hit with the song “Music to Watch the Girls Go By.”

Having always been into music with extremely eclectic tastes, I have an iPod bulging at the seams. But there are certain songs that bring back memories of yesteryear, and - harrumph - particularly certain young ladies of yesteryear who I – er – watched go by, and on occasion attempted to detain. I kept a diary for many years, and to help a friend with a writing project recently checked out some dates for him. It was over forty years since my thoughts had been put to paper, and boy - was some of it embarrassing. But it reminded me of some of the very nice young ladies I had taken out in what was an innocent but fun-time youth. And all that music, which can still trigger memories today.

Perhaps the first was Buddy Holly singing “Learning the Game.” Found on his tape-recorder in his New York apartment after his untimely demise in a plane crash, the studios dubbed in a backing and it became a minor hit in Britain. I remember sitting in a coffee bar in Hythe, gazing into the calf-eyes of G, putting coins in the juke box to play it again and again. Aaaah. It is amazing what counts for folk music nowadays – probably any music sung by folk! I have been known to do an acoustic “Learning the Game” on singers’ night in folk clubs. Lovely little song – so simple – within Occasional’s limited range - and only three chords as well.

Then there was P. My memory of her comes from Gene Vincent trying to copy Buddy Holly hiccupping his way through the song “My Heart” (written by Johnny Burnette). I will draw a veil over why that song is a reminder, but I did take P to see Gene Vincent once. As noted in an earlier post, and to quote from a Vincent recording from the 1960s this was “The Beginning of the End.”

Then there was S. A really good friend – far more like a sister, which is why I happily attended her wedding to someone else. But the song that always brings back memories of S is Holly again – “Umm Oh Yeah.” It came from the same acoustic recordings on Holly’s tape recorder that included “Learning the Game.” It came out as the flip side of a Holly single in the UK in the mid-60s, credited to Holly. The title came from Holly’s slurred Tex-Mex enunciation mid-verse. I thought it was great, and S bought it for me.

Then someone noticed that Holly’s home tapes included a version of “Love is Strange” – written and recorded by Mickey and Sylvia. On checking their recording output, “Umm Oh Yeah” turned up – but under its correct title, “Dearest.” It actually had three writers credited – including Ellas McDaniel (alias Bob Diddley) and Mickey Baker, one half of Mickey and Sylvia. Ooops.

I was at a folk club last year, and believe it or not, this song also turned up again presented as a folk song. It is probably the three chord aspect, and again Holly’s limited range that make most of his songs such a joy for amateurs to sing. Yes – memories of S again.

Then of course there was L. Now this could have been serious. She really liked the Herb Alpert version of “This Guy’s in Love with You”. So I bought her the single. It seemed really appropriate. She thanked me profusely. Then she dumped me. So I wrote a comedy rock’n’roll song about the experience. As you do. And sang it at parties. It used to go down a storm. For some reason she was not amused.

The strange thing of course is that when I grew up I eventually married Mrs Occasional – a very good choice, looking back on over 38 years of marriage. And I’m not just writing that because she may read this – unlike my daughter she rarely reads my posts. Did we have a special song? Well, I do remember sending her John Stewart’s “Mother Country” on tape when she was working abroad. I mean, a nostalgic hymn to Americana is just the thing to woo a Welsh girl by an English guy isn’t it..? In spite of that we have lived happily ever after.

Perhaps the song that most joins us now is one we sing together. We have practiced, practiced, practiced. We pinched the arrangement from the original recording, helped by our daughter who teaches music. “No Telling (What a Love Song Will Do).” There are times, when tired and well watered, that it can still bring a tear to these rheumy eyes. It was written and first recorded by husband and wife, Richard and Linda Thompson. It didn’t keep them together – but that’s another story. It is our party piece. If we go to a new folk club on holiday – where the audience is not already sick to death of our repertoire – then “No Telling” it has to be.

And no – before you look – you will not find our version on YouTube!

No comments:

Post a Comment